Package Value: £3,000,000
Main Contractor: Wates Construction Ltd
This significant Leeds landmark, originally built in the 1930’s for department store, Lewis’, has been transformed into a grand mixed-use development. The impressive building, which dominates the central shopping street in Leeds centre, The Headrow, has been painstakingly refurbished to provide retail space on the lower, ground & first floors and high-spec commercial office space from the second to the sixth floor.
The development was beset with challenges to ensure the history of the building was preserved whilst increasing its impact with additional floors and returning it to its former glory. As part of our package Marlborough installed 250m3 of Portland Stone in varying unit shapes & sizes from 200-1400kg. We used an innovative ‘mono-rail’ system to transfer these units to their positions on the 5th & 6th floor façade.